But that was then, and this is now. Today, you have a range of DYI website building services such as Weebly, Wix, Jimdo, and Squarespace. Popular web hosts such as GoDaddy and Bluehost also come with powerful website creation tools. These are do-it-yourself website builders that make the entire process so much easier.
Pros of DYI Website Builders
Each of these website builders have their own special features to offer. Squarespace.com, for example, provides beautifully designed templates, and they’re all mobile-ready too.
Weebly.com offers an extremely intuitive interface that makes it so very easy to use. Wix.com also has numerous beautiful templates optimized for mobile devices, and you can access a huge library of stock photography.
But in general, here are some advantages that DYI website builders offer:
- You absolutely need no technical knowledge at all. All you need to know is how to drag and drop various elements needed on your site. This saves you a lot of time on educating yourself on technical matters, and it saves you a lot of frustration as well.
- You don’t even have to have any special knowledge about web design. These website builders give you numerous web templates to choose from, and often they’re geared towards a certain kind of website.
- If you want to feature your talent in photography, for example, you can easily find a website that displays your photos in the most effective ways possible.
- Your website can be up and running in just a few minutes. Even experienced web developers need some time to come up with a working website. The process can be quite tedious. But with these builders, you don’t need much time at all. You can then use your time for other activities for which you are more familiar with.
- You save a lot of money. Since you’re “building” your own website, you’re spared the expense of hiring a seasoned professional web developer. DYI web builders, on the other hand, are extremely affordable.
- Web hosting is often part of the service. That saves you the burden of having to choose a web hosting company and paying for their services.
Cons of DIY Website Builders
Of course, there are a few “downsides” to all of the above points.
- With most DIY website builders you only have a set number of designs to work with, which can make your website look turnkey and amateurish. DIY website software tools can never replace a custom and professional designed website.
- Perhaps the most significant limitation is that you’re not as free to make the customization you want. The kinds of changes you can make are rather limited.
- With a few notable exceptions, you may also not be able to back up your website fully.
So should you use these DYI website builders? That depends on a lot of factors. If you don’t have the budget or you’re still starting out, then you should give it a go. But if you have the money and you have big goals for your website, then a professional custom made website is still the way to go.